Saturday, February 16, 2019

Long Distance Traveling with Vinny


What are some considerations when taking a long-distance and/or extended stay trip with your dog?  I'm getting ready to take just such a car trip with Vinny (blind/deaf).  He's an experienced traveler, and there are certain things I take into consideration to keep him happy and content when he's away from home for so long.

Vinny is a fabulous traveler, enjoys riding in the car, and is excited to explore new places.  But even so, being away from home can be stressful.  It's important that I have a plan for keeping Vinny as relaxed and happy as possible. 



Are We There Yet?  

We will need to spend most of two days in the car to get to our destination.  Vinny travels in a crate which is strapped down securely so it won't slide or bump around.  I choose to have him ride in a crate for safety reasons.  A crate will help to keep him safe from being tossed around in the car should I have to stop suddenly, but it will also keep him safe from the luggage and other items in the car hitting him if they shift suddenly.  

In his crate, he has a familiar bed, some favorite toys, and some bones to chew to help him pass the time.  I keep food puzzle toys handy along with some special treats, so I can offer him one periodically to exercise his mind and give him something to focus on.  Vinny can't see me or hear me, nor can he hear the radio or my singing (which might be a good thing!).  It's important to me that he have things to occupy him.  I may even give him a new toy to explore. 

It's important on a long trip to provide lots of water and potty breaks, and a chance for Vinny to stretch his legs.  I have a long tracking leash where I can get to it easily.  Rest areas often have larger grass areas where I can let him wander and sniff or even run a little bit.  He also needs to have access often to fresh water.  When finding interesting places for us to stop along the way, we explored whether they were dog friendly.  This allows us to do some sightseeing while Vinny gets to come along with us.  

Checking In

Once at the hotel, there is an entirely new environment for Vinny to get used to.  I've found it is easier for me to check in and get my things into the room before bringing Vinny in.  This also allows me to check the room for ways I can make it more accommodating for Vinny since he can't see.  Can I create a clearer path for him by moving floor lamps, wires, chairs, etc?  

I always check under the beds - I have found stray medications which have rolled under beds and been missed by vacuums.  I sure don't want my dog eating that!  I close the toilet lid if possible and if not, I make sure I don't allow him free access to the bathroom.  I know they use toxic cleaners and I don't want to risk my dog deciding that this is the day to sample toilet water!  I always keep trash cans up on counters and out of Vinny's reach while in the hotel as well.  

Since I've already brought my things to the room (and Vinny's things), I can unpack his bowls, bed, toys and bone so he will notice familiar things of his when he comes into the room.  I do also travel with a small exercise pen that I can set up to help him acclimate if necessary.  He's a fairly seasoned traveler, so I don't really need this anymore.  In the beginning, though, it helped him get used to a smaller area first before setting him loose in the room and helped him not to be so confused with a new space.  Similarly, if your dog is used to using a halo harness, be sure to bring that along.  

I came across a new situation when traveling recently.  A low counter stuck out into the middle of the room with nothing underneath it.  The counter was much lower than most.  But this counter was just the proper height for Collies to knock their faces against - and that was NOT fun!  In this case, I used things to block off the space around and below the counter - luggage, chairs, and the exercise pen.  



Jumping on the Bed

Be prepared to spend some extra time with your dog while getting to the room.  Some dogs take their time to do their business in a new place.  It's wise to make sure you give your dog plenty of time to do everything they need to do before going into the hotel.  Your dog may experience new types of doors, new and various surfaces, new smells.  Take your time and let your dog explore a bit and smell on your way to the room.  

There will be steps and elevators.  Small dogs can feel safer being carried (if they are accustomed to that) in elevators and up and down unfamiliar sets of steps.  Larger dogs will need extra guidance from you and patience about exploring steps that may be different from theirs at home.  Elevators are a great alternative, but require some practice to do safely and fluidly. 

Always be sure when getting on or off an elevator to look first - be sure no one (or other dog) is getting on or off towards you.  If there is another dog in the elevator, I usually will wait to get on the next one.  It's important to block the elevator door with your foot and leg while you help your dog get on/off.  Please don't let your dog get on or off without blocking the door.  Elevator door sensors can't sense a leash and may close on your dog or on the leash with you on one side and your dog on the other.  That is NOT safe!  Also be sure you steer your dog to the back of the elevator away from the closing door so his feet and tail don't get pinched!  

When I get to a new hotel room, I allow Vinny to smell and move around.  I keep him on the leash and stay nearby so I can steer him if he's going to bump hard into something.  He will explore but appreciates having me nearby so he can check in with me while he's moving around the room.  He will find his toys and bed, and I show him where his water is.  After he's checked the room out a few times, I will take off the leash but I am still paying attention.  

He will bump into things as he explores.  If I notice him getting confused or frustrated, I will step in to help him and redirect him in a different direction.  He usually explores a few more times around the whole place off leash and then will come to investigate what I'm doing, find his toys, etc.  

Taking the time to consider what Vinny needs on our travels allows him to have fun exploring new places.  By taking some extra time when we first get to the hotel, I know he will then settle down and be comfortable in the new environment for the rest of our stay.   





**For more information about blind and/or deaf dogs, visit my website at www.yourinnerdog.com  You will find articles, books, online classes and resources there to assist you!  To subscribe to this blog and receive emails as each new post is published, please scroll to the blog header above and add your email address!**



No comments:

Post a Comment