Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Teaching a Name Sign to a Deaf Dog


A name sign is a sign that is a shortcut instead of finger spelling out an entire name with sign language.  It's a bit like a nickname!  It is a shortened sign to make signing a name faster and easier.  Deaf dogs can learn many different signs, and all of my dogs also learn a sign for their names.

Teaching a name sign is a great way to let your dog know you want to engage with him.  If you have multiple dogs in your home, using name signs can be very handy so the dogs know which dog you are referring to.  I use name signs to ask my dogs to take turns, or to allow one dog to come through a doorway but not a different dog.  I can ask my dogs to do different things by differentiating which one I'm addressing.

How do you decide on a name sign?  Perhaps your dog has a certain character trait you want to highlight, or an endearing nickname that already has a sign that you can use.  I tend to use the first letter of the dog's name in its name sign and choose different ways to use that hand shape.  

Vegas (pictured) has a name sign that is a V (index and middle fingers spread as a V with other fingers folded into my hand) and I shake it back and forth slightly in the air.  Owen has an O hand shape (all fingers curled and touching my thumb to create a circle) and instead of shaking back and forth, his drops slightly downward in the air. 

To teach Vegas to pay attention to this new sign, I use his name sign whenever we are doing things he likes!  Name sign, then treat!  Name sign, then his meal!  Name sign while we are playing his favorite games!  Name sign when I put his leash on to go outside!  He will learn by association that the sign refers to him and that something good will happen.

I don't use a name sign if I am going to do something my dog is not fond of - bathing, going to the vet, etc.  I will just go get my dog.  I always want only positive things associated with my dog's name sign.  I always want my dogs eager to engage with me and come running when they notice their name sign! 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment