Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Somebody new...

Not much free time to blog tonight, so tonight's blog is about Grace, my other double merle sheltie.  Grace (deaf with slight visual impairment) is also a rescued dog and is 2 and a half years old now.  I've had her for a year and a half now.  Tonight we had rally class at the club.  Because I do rally with my other (hearing) dogs, it was strange to be going through the course so quietly.  I have to make a real effort to keep my body language animated when working with Grace.  She is a quieter, more reserved sheltie, so it takes a lot to get her motivated sometimes although she's much better than she used to be!  Grace will have to compete in APDT rally, because AKC will not allow deaf dogs to compete in its events. 

Grace did very well with our practice and our first rally course tonight.  She paid attention to my hand and body signals and learned some new exercises.  By the second course she was getting a bit stressed and while she was still following my signs, she was working a bit slower and started to not be as motivated for her treats.  But the second course required us to work close to and in between two unfamiliar dog/handler teams.  We made it through the course but stopped after and in between exercises for extra pets and treats to keep her happy, and left on a good note before she got pouty.  Here's my sweet girl, Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment