Sunday, September 23, 2018

How to Choose Signs for Deaf Dogs



Is there a secret to choosing signs for deaf dogs?  Sometimes people ask me how I choose which signs to use for my dogs, and new adopters of deaf dogs are normally very concerned with choosing the right signs.

The truth is, that any signal you use consistently will come to have significant meaning to you and your dog.  If I pat the top of my head every time I take my dog outside, my dog will very quickly begin to know that patting the top of my head signals a walk!  There is no magic formula for choosing which signs to use.  

There is not a formal sign language for use with dogs.  People living with deaf dogs use an assortment of signs for their dogs.  There is no right or wrong answer as to which ones should be used. 

It's important to have consistency with the signs you choose for a deaf dog.  Make sure that you and your family members remember which signs mean what, and that you are making the signs in the same way so your dog won't get confused.  

You may choose to use a formal type of human sign language with your dog.  You can do searches online to help you find signs for various cues and words you want to teach your dog.  Many sites have videos to show you how to do each sign, so you can watch and practice until you feel comfortable.  Here is one that lets you type in a word and do a search for the sign that means that word or phrase.  https://www.signingsavvy.com/

You may choose to use widely accepted hand signals that are used for dog obedience exercises.  You can do a search for dog obedience hand signals to find these.  Or you can even do searches for signs to use with deaf dogs and find many sites with examples.  Don't let yourself be confused, though, as signs may be different from site to site.  This is because as long as you are consistent with the signs you choose, your dog won't care which ones you use.

I have chosen a number of signs to use from various sources, and some I have made up myself.  My deaf dogs know some made up signs, some dog obedience signs, and some actual sign language cues.  You can see some examples of the signs I use on the Uniquely Paws-Able site in the Library where there are sample videos of me working with my dogs in various capacities.  You can find that page here:  https://uniquely-paws-able.teachable.com/p/library-free 



1 comment:

  1. I use hand signals with my dogs. At first it was unconscious on my part. But once I realized I was doing it, and that they responded, I continued to do it purposely. Even though my dogs are not deaf, they could lose their hearing as they age. So it's actually a good idea for everyone to teach their dogs both verbal cues and hand signals.

    ReplyDelete